It’s time again for the annual London Design Festival, an event to celebrate and showcase London as the design capital of the world. From the 14th to the 22nd of September, this internationally acclaimed event has a programme made up of over 300 events and exhibitions staged by hundreds of partner organisations.
Conceived by Sir John Sorrell and Ben Evans as a way to build on London’s existing design activity, the festival draws on the city’s vast creativity to deliver a celebration of design. With something for everyone, it’s time to get out and explore the exciting world of design.
Where is it and what exactly will I see?
The events are comprised of site-specific installations, newly commissioned projects and trade fairs, along with various talks and workshops, and take place all across London. Your best bet is to check out the programme, as navigating the 300 events can be daunting. You can search by date, area, type of exhibition, or discipline to narrow down your options and find the events that suit you best. Alternatively, you can click here for more tips on planning your Design Festival experience.
Highlights of the event
Some highlights of the event you might want to consider seeing are:
- The Endless Stair: a structure of 20 interlocking staircases installed outside the Tate Modern
- God Is In The Details… at the V&A: Discover details unnoticed as 20 designers pick an object from the V&A and magnify its design highlights or quirks with Swarovski lenses
- Digital Design Weekend at the V&A (21-22 September): two days of events exploring digital art, design and science – from interactive installations to biotechnology and imaginative electronics.
- Global Design Forum at the Southbank Centre (16-17 September): panel discussions, Q&A sessions, keynote speeches and presentations from the leaders in the world of design – including graphic legend Peter Saville.
Design Districts: explore design in your neighbourhood at one of the festival’s regional design hubs: Chelsea Design Quarter, Clerkenwell Design Quarter, Brompton Design District, Fitzrovia Now and Shoreditch Design Triangle
The London Design Festival is also the umbrella for a number of high-profile design events taking place in London during the same time, such as:
- 100% Design at Earls Court (18-21 September)
- Decorex International Perks Field & The Orangery, Kensington Palace (22-25 September)
- FOCUS/13 at Design Centre Chelsea Harbour (22-25 September)
- designjunction at The Old Sorting Office (18-22 September)
- Super Brands London and Tent London at Truman Brewery (19-22 September)